Friday 24 February 2012

“My Friends, I Address You All Tonight As You Truly Are; Wizards, Mermaids, Travelers, Adventurers, Magicians. Come And Dream With Me....”


I wasn't a huge fan of Hugo. As visually stunning as it was, i wasn't drawn in by the story.
It felt too disjointed, one story of a little boy's journey to reconnect one last time with his father, and the other to do with the origins of film - the part which i most enjoyed. The link between the two was tenuous.
I usually adore Chloë Moretz but i found her and Asa Butterfield rather annoying, and felt i was only supposed to feel sorry for him because he had big blue eyes.

I was however enchanted by the art direction, the visual effects, costume and set design. All of which had a strange effect on my dreams afterwards!
I love Martin Scorsese and would usually be throwing Oscars at him, and as many technical Oscars as Hugo deserves, i hope they give the best director to Michel Hazanavicius for his wonderful work on The Artist, and save Scorsese's next one for something i can sink my teeth into.
I leave you with some of my favourite imagery from the film

 

No comments:

Post a Comment